Saturday, December 26, 2009

What's this "Holy Family" Stuff? Reflection for the Feast of the Holy Family, December 27, 2009

The Holy Family: Today's Scripture: Sirach 3: 2-6, 12- 14 or 1Samuel 1: 20-28 ; Colossians 3: 12-21 or 1 John 3: 1-2, 21-24; Luke 2: 41-52 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab

“Seeing Family Life As Holy - Warts and All”

As the above title from a past Catholic Update reminds us, the very title of today’s feast, “the Holy Family,” is, for many, an oxymoron. It is a title that can certainly evoke many sentiments, ranging from disbelief and laughter to anger and regret. “Oh yes”, we think, “that title refers to Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. But it certainly doesn’t refer to my family -especially after the Christmas celebrations!” Yes, somehow we picture that Jesus, Mary, and Joseph really did have halos! After all, Jesus was God- what more would anyone want???

Yet God’s Word reminds us today that a holy family is not a picture-perfect, halo-wearing family. Real life does involve relationships that grow, evolve, and change (1 Samuel, Luke).

As we begin a new year God's Word can encourage and strengthen us with the renewed awareness that real family life needs effort and work.

Remembering that God is present in the midst of all the reality can make a difference! (Colossians).

To think about:
Do I try to accept myself and the members of my family as people loved by God?
Do I ask God to help me grow in compassion, kindness, patience, and forgiveness?
Where do I look for values for family life?
Do I have unreal expectations of what family life can be?
Do I show that family life is a priority for me in the way I use my time and energy?

To do: Set realistic goals for the new year with other family members.
Make gratitude and thanks part of daily life by noticing your blessings and thanking God.
Ask God to help you see yourself and your family members as God sees them.
Take time to access good family life sites such as www.familylifecenter.net, www.foryourmarriage.org, or the about.com marriage site for good ideas on family life.
Find ways to make God and the church community part of your family life, especially by joining activities with other families.

To pray: “I will hold your people in my heart.”

Next week: Epiphany of the Lord: Isaiah 60: 1-6; Ephesians 3: 1-6; Matthew 2: 1-12

No comments:

Post a Comment