Saturday, December 12, 2009

"Unwrapping the Gift of Joy": Reflection for December 13, 2009- 3rd Sunday of Advent

"Unwrappng the Gift of Joy" Reflection for 3rd Sunday of Advent
Today's Scripture : Zephaniah 3: 14-20; Philippians 4:4-7; Luke 3: 7-18 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab

Sometimes joy and good news seem like forgotten parts of life; we can be inundated with bad news on the local, national, and international levels, and finding moments of joy can seem like another task.
Joy can almost seem like a flower that is stepped upon - like a small, fragile creation that lasts for a short time.
In addition, sorrows, difficulties, and pressures can often seem magnified at this time of year because of the emphasis on "forced" or "obligatory" rejoicing and celebrating that surround us.
God’s Word today reminds us that true and lasting joy is a gift that is integral to our relationship with God and with others!(Zephaniah, Philippians)
Even in the midst of sorrows, a small glimmer of light and joy can shine.
Joy is really a gift that “keeps on giving”.
By the way we live and the decisions we make we, in turn, can be a source of joy for others (Luke).

To think about: Where do I and my family find joy?
Do I notice moments of joy in daily life?
Do I fill my life and my family’s life with reasons for joy or with reasons for anxiety?
Is joy part of my relationship with God?
Do I thank God for the many gifts in my life?
How do I and my family try to bring joy to others?

To do: Take time either alone or with others to remember moments of joy. As you remember those moments, enjoy the smile that comes to your heart and to your face!
Notice moments of joy in your life now.
Continue to bring joy to others by the way that you use your time, talent, and treasure.
When you light your Advent wreath, thank God for someone who has brought joy into your life.

To pray: “Rejoice in the Lord always…”

Next week: 4th Sunday of Advent: Micah 5: 2-5; Hebrews 10: 5-10; Luke 1: 39-55

No comments:

Post a Comment