Thursday, July 9, 2009

Looking for a Job?:Reflection for July 12, 2009

15th Sunday in Ordinary Time: Amos 7: 12-15; Ephesians 1: 3-14; Mark 6: 14-19
Scripture for today can be found at www.usccb.org/nab.


Regardless of the condition of the job market, the market for Christians is always booming. In fact, Jesus has already selected each of us for a job. It’s up to us to respond and either start or continue working for Jesus.
While we may not think that we are well qualified or that we are “the right candidate” for the position, Jesus has other ideas. In fact, as God’s Word tells us today, God has chosen many people who did not think that they were qualified (Amos, Mark). However, God’s Word also shows us that God has chosen us (Ephesians).
Each of us, with our individual talents and abilities, strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, is challenged and strengthened to respond to the job offer that God has given us: to bring the Good News of God’s Love to others.

To think about: How would I rate my “job performance” as a disciple? How do I let Jesus’ values influence the way my family and I live? If people were arrested for being followers of Jesus, what evidence could be used for or against me?
Does my life show that I consider discipleship to be a blessing or a burden? Who are some people who have positively influenced my view of lived discipleship?
Can I bring an awareness of being called and sent by God to one aspect of my daily life: the way I interact with someone, use my time, or spend money?

To do: Think “WWJD?” (What Would Jesus Do?) when making a decision or evaluating a situation this week. Look at your talents, abilities, and interests, and notice how you are already doing God’s work as a disciple.
Give your child opportunities to help and serve others by visiting an elderly neighbor or relative, playing with a younger child, or being involved in a community project.
Before going to sleep, thank God for the opportunities you had that day to be Jesus’ voice, hands, and feet.
Read a book or view a video of someone you consider to be a disciple; encourage your child to read about a Christian hero or heroine.

To pray: “I will go, Lord, if you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart.”

Next week: 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time: Jeremiah 23: 1-6; Ephesians 2: 13-18; Mark 6: 30-34

No comments:

Post a Comment