Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Can You Hear Me Now?: Reflection for July 5, 2009: 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time:

Ezekiel 2:1-5; 2 Corinthians 12:2-10; Mark 6:1-6
Scripture Passages for today can be found at www.usccb.org/nab


Can You Hear Me Now?

As we’ve all probably experienced, sometimes cell phones just do not function properly. For some reason – or for a variety of reasons- the voice just doesn’t come through. In order to receive the message clearly, the speaker or the recipient needs to make some sort of adjustment. It certainly is a frustrating experience when that other voice can’t be heard. At times the transmission may be compromised; at other times there may be too much noise and too many distractions to pay attention and hear clearly.
God’s Word today seems to remind us of the reality of an inner voice and of the importance of listening to that voice (Ezekiel, Mark). In addition, this Word shows us some of the factors that can prevent us from hearing a message (Mark).
We, in turn, are challenged to be aware of the way we listen to God’s Voice in our lives, and of the way we respond to that Voice in our life and in the lives of others.


To think about: Do I believe that God is present in my life? Do I want to hear God in my life? Do I show that I value God’s presence in my life through my values and the way I use my time?
Am I often so preoccupied with my own concerns, anxieties, or regrets that I am not even aware of the present moment, the place where God is?
Do I try to listen to others, or do I usually have my own response prepared? How can I be a better listener? Do I, like Jesus’ townspeople, tend to dismiss some truths because of the person who is speaking?


To do: At least once a day try to stay in the present moment in order to hear the Voice of God present in your own heart and mind, in the people or events of your life. Spend a few quiet moments in the morning or evening aware of God’s love and presence; it can help “improve the connection”!
Listen attentively to someone you usually ignore or dismiss; try to summarize what they are saying. Commend your child for good listening when you see it.
Minimize the noise in your life by setting limits on the amount of time for TV and computer… and then do the same for yourself!
Go for a quiet walk and notice the stars and the sounds of nature. Play a “Freeze” game with your child by being quiet for a moment and noticing sounds around you.


To pray: Hear God say to you, “I will come to you in the silence; I will lift you from your fear. You will hear my voice, I claim you as my choice. Be still and know I am here.” (“You Are Mine”)


Next week: 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time: Amos 7: 12-15; Ephesians 1: 3-14; Mark 6: 14-19

No comments:

Post a Comment