Friday, April 9, 2010

"How Does Faith Grow?": Reflection for the 2nd Sunday of the Easter Season, April 11, 2010

Scripture for today, the 2nd Sunday of the Easter Season: Acts of the Apostles 5: 12-16; Revelation 1: 4-19; John 20: 19-31 can be found at www.usccb.org/nab

"How Does Faith Grow?"

People sometimes worry when they experience doubts and questions about faith. Yet God’s Word today reminds us that doubts and questions can lead to greater, deeper faith. And God’s Word also shows us everyday ways in which faith grows.
Most of us can easily identify with Thomas as he honestly proclaims his lack of faith and his need to experience the Risen Lord (John 20: 19-31). Jesus does not denounce this man; instead, Jesus answers Thomas’ need and accepts Thomas where he is! And without even touching Jesus, Thomas believes in a new way!
When a person’s life reflects belief in the Risen Jesus, that life speaks volumes (Acts).
And being part of a community that tries to live the message of Jesus can help all of us remember that Jesus is alive today (Revelation).

To think about: What has “shaken my faith”?
In times of doubt, do I turn toward Jesus or away from him?
Am I able to bring my lack of faith to Jesus?
Do I realize that faith changes and grows and that often childish ideas need to be replaced?
Who has helped me in times of doubt and shaken faith?
What has helped my faith to grow?
How much does my life reflect my belief in Jesus?
Do I give my time, talent and treasure to caring for others?

To do: Notice signs of renewed life in nature; let them remind you of eternal life.
Thank someone who gives time and effort to help others, especially those who try to make Jesus’ message come alive today.
Consciously let your faith in Jesus influence a decision you make this week.
Make an effort to look for answers to some religious questions you may have by using the parish library or Catholic internet sites.

To pray: Hear Jesus say to you, “Do not be afraid (insert your name here) …I am alive.”(Revelation)

Next week: 3rd Sunday of the Easter Season : Acts of the Apostles 5: 27-41; Revelation 5: 11-14; John 21: 1-19

No comments:

Post a Comment