Saturday, March 27, 2010

"Walking With Jesus": Reflection for Passion Sunday, March 28, 2010

Passion Sunday: Today's Scripture: Isaiah 50:4-7; Philippians 2: 6-11; Luke 22: 14-56 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab

Walking With Jesus

This week, Holy Week, we walk again with Jesus as he passed from life through death to life. We move with Jesus from his hero’s welcome surrounded by friends and joyful followers to his time of suffering, abandonment and death.
As we re-live these last days of Jesus’ earthly life, God’s Word today reminds us that suffering and death were part of Jesus’ life. Jesus’ sufferings were real; his death was real; his walk through the dark valley was real. But we also know that suffering and death were not the end of his life.
We can’t close the book yet, because there is more to come. That’s why we look forward to Easter; we believe that something follows suffering and death.
Although Jesus knew that he was not alone : “the Lord God helps me” (Isaiah), he still experienced a sense of abandonment : “My God, why have you forsaken me?” (Luke).
Growing in relationship with Jesus calls for each of us to live so that “the same mind is in us that was in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians) This is indeed a lifelong challenge! Knowing that God is with us can help us as we continue to grow.

To think about: Is it easy for me to be a disciple of Jesus when everything is going well?
What happens to my relation with Jesus when there is suffering, misfortune, or difficulty in my life?
What would I have done if I had been with Jesus through the events of this week?
After I take my palms home, will I try to remember that Jesus is with me through the good times and the bad times, the peaceful times as well as the stressful times, the times of new life and the times of pain, suffering and death?

To do: Try to put into action some of Jesus’ words that we hear this week. "This is My Body, broken for you...My Blood poured out for you"; "Father, forgive them."
Be conscious of Jesus’ words as you serve others in the everyday chores and responsibilities of your life.
Point out ways that your children have been helpful by serving others in the family; many times small simple actions can make a difference!
Help someone who is suffering or dying. Call someone who is lonely.
Refrain from one treat individually or as a family, and give the saved money to a charity.

To pray: “Lord, let me walk this road with you.”

Next week: Easter Sunday – The Resurrection of the Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment