Saturday, March 13, 2010

Being "At Home"

Being “At Home”: Reflection for 4th Sunday of Lent, March 14, 2010

Today’s Scripture : Joshua 5:2-12; 2 Corinthians 5: 17-21; Luke 15: 11-32 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab

Being “At Home”

How wonderful it is to feel “at home” and to be “at home” somewhere. We can all probably think of places where we have felt at home; and we can also think of people who have helped convey the sense of being “at home”.

Today God’s Word vividly reminds us of the Good News: God wants to be “at home” with us!
In the very familiar story popularly known as “The Prodigal Son” (Luke), Jesus gives us an image of God in the Father who “ran to his child, put his arms around him, and kissed him” when the son turned toward home.

God’s Word reminds us that God is ready to do the same for each of us; God does not keep us at a distance.
This Good News can make a difference in one’s approach to life; it can even give a sense of new beginning.

We have renewed reason to celebrate life’s joys (Joshua), for, in accepting God’s love, “the old has past away; everything has become new.”(Corinthians)
God's Word challenges us, in turn, to extend that same love to others and to help put the past behind.

To think about: What helps me to feel “at home” in situations?
Who are some people who have helped me feel at home?
Do I picture God “running to me” in love?
Do I picture God running to different people I know?
Is there someone with whom I refuse to reconcile, someone I am unwilling to forgive?
Can I help someone feel more at home in a new situation?
How do I treat people who have disabilities that limit places in which they can feel “at home”?

To do: Picture God embracing you in love.
Picture God embracing your child in love.
Make that phone call to take a step toward a reconciliation in your life.
Help someone to feel at home in a new situation with a welcoming smile and greeting.
Instead of buying some new “extra” for your house, give financial support to help those who do not have a home.

To pray: Hear God saying to you: “Do not be afraid, I am with you. I have called you, ____, by name.”
Next week: 5th Sunday of Lent: Isaiah 43: 16-21; Philippians 3: 8-14; John 8: 1-11

No comments:

Post a Comment