Friday, March 5, 2010

"Keep On Growing"

“Keep On Growing”: Reflection for 3rd Sunday of Lent, March 7, 2019
Today’s Scripture: Exodus 3: 2-12; 1 Corinthians 10: 1-12; Luke 13: 1-9 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab

Keep on Growing
Spring is almost here; we can see signs of new life beginning to emerge. We’ve been enjoying more daylight hours, and next week’s arrival of daylight savings time will give us additional time to enjoy the light.
In some places bushes and trees have been trimmed or pruned so that new life will emerge in a fuller way.
Nature reminds us that growth can be slow and surprising! Some seeds may have been planted indoors to get an early start. One may find that a bush or tree thought lifeless shows signs of new life.
God’s Word today reminds us of the marvels of growth and new life. This Word also calls us to look at the way our own “life tree” is growing and the ways that we help other lives to grow.
This is especially vivid in the parable of the fig tree (Luke) and in Paul’s reminder to “drink from the rock, Jesus” (Corinthians).
God’s description as the great “I Am” (Exodus) also calls us to remember God’s presence even when growth is not visible.
Our daily lives present many opportunities to look beyond our own desires and to find ways to add to life’s beauty, joy and love.

To think about: How is my “life tree” growing?
Do I need to make some changes to help my life grow in a healthier way for body, mind, or spirit?
Am I so occupied with producing material “fruit” that I have no time or energy for God or others?
What do I “feed” my child’s mind and spirit to encourage and foster good growth?
Do I express appreciation to those who give time and energy to help young people grow with good values?
Do I let regrets about the past or undue worry about the future wear away at my life?

To do: Notice how you spend your time and evaluate it in light of “If I had 24 hours left to live, what would I do?”
Turn off the computer or the TV and spend that time with a family member. Or use that time for quiet reading and resting in God.
Notice and affirm a good quality, attitude or action you see in a family member.
Try to stay in the present moment and be aware of God’s presence.
Try adding a smile to someone’s life!

To pray: Repeat Jesus’ promise, “I am with you always, _____”. Insert your own name to hear it better!

Next week: 4th Sunday of Lent: Joshua 5:2-12; 2 Corinthians 5: 17-21; Luke 15: 11-32

No comments:

Post a Comment