Friday, January 29, 2010

'The Circle of Life and Love": Reflection for Sunday, Jan 31, 2010; 4th Sunday in Ordinary Time

"The Circle of Life and Love"
Scripture for today, the 4th Sunday in Ordinary Time, : Jeremiah 1:4-19; 1 Corinthians 13: 1-13; Luke 4: 21-30 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab


“You can’t give what you don’t have” as a wise saying reminds us.
An individual has to experience certain realities or truths before putting those truths into action. Children must experience love in order to show love to others.

God’s Word today clearly reminds us that God loves us and knows us intimately “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.”(Jeremiah)

And God’s Word then challenges us to continue the circle of love by the way that we live (Corinthians, Luke), knowing that “actions speak louder than words.”

The familiar description of love as “patient and kind; not envious, boastful, arrogant or rude; rejoicing in truth, believing, hoping, and enduring”(Corinthians) can provideplenty of ideas for everyday life!

On any day, every action of love keeps the circle of love moving.

To think about: Do I ever think of God as one who knows me intimately…and still loves me? Do I thank God for my gifts and talents?
Do I try to reflect God’s love in my interactions with others?
Do I usually wait for someone else to be patient, kind or caring; or have I been willing to take the first step toward putting love into action?

To do: Put love into action: say that kind word, make that call to reconcile, affirm someone’s giftedness.
Remind yourself throughout the day that God loves you intimately.
Notice your child’s ways of showing love through cooperating, sharing and helping.
We all need to be reminded, so say “I love you” to people in your life.
Show love by giving money that you might have spent on yourself for an “extra” in order to help someone in need with a necessity.

To pray: Hear God say lovingly to you, ”Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you.”

Next week: 5th Sunday in Ordinary Time: Isaiah 6:1-8; 1 Corinthians 15: 1-11; Luke 5: 1-11

No comments:

Post a Comment