Friday, January 8, 2010

Baptism of Jesus: Today's Scripture: Isaiah 42:1-7 or Isaiah 40: 1-11; Timothy 2:11-14, 3: 4-7 or Acts of the Apostles 10: 34-38; Luke 3:15-22 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab.

Baptism: A Life-Changing Experience

Today the Christian Church moves in “fast-forward”, from the Infancy narratives two weeks ago and the story of the 12 year old Jesus last week to the ministry of the early Christian community. Talk about a leap! Buthere we are ready to look at ministry with the story of Jesus' Baptism and the beginning of his adult ministry.

Probably each of us can think of significant, almost life-changing events in life- events that have helped shape one's life direction.

God’s Word today reminds us that for each of us, Baptism was such a moment: a moment that can define who we are; one that can give direction and new meaning to life (Luke).

Such direction is clearly given: Baptism is meant to make a difference in our lives, especially in the ways we continue to bring God’s love to others and work toward peace and justice. (Isaiah, Acts).

To think about:
Do I look at Baptism as a “life-defining” event, an event that comes with a “job description”: living as a child of God?
Do I tap into the resource of God’s covenant with me as I live my life?
Do I see myself and others as God’s beloved?
Can I use my time, talents, or treasure to bring God’s love to others at home, in school, at work?

To do: Look at pictures of your child’s Baptism and talk about the significance of that event. Remind yourself of God’s covenant with you as you make decisions this week, especially in the way you treat others.
Bless your child by making the Sign of the Cross on your child’s forehead before school or bed.

To pray: Insert your name and hear God speak to you, “You,____, are my Beloved; in you I am well pleased.”
Next week: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany: Isaiah 62: 1-5; 1 Corinthians 12: 1-11; John 2: 1-11

No comments:

Post a Comment