Friday, September 18, 2009

"Who's First?? Who's Best??" Reflection for Sunday, September 20, 2009, 25th SUnday in Ordinary Time

25th Sunday in Ordinary Time: Wisdom 2:12-20; James 3: 16-4:3; Mark 9: 30-37
Scripture for today can be found at http://www.usccb.org/nab


Society acknowledges greatness in many different ways, depending on the qualities that form the basis for consideration. Political leadership, achievement in sports or entertainment, the status of one's job or one's family can all be a basis for a perception of "greatness". And, as we know, "greatness” in one area of life certainly does not automatically mean “greatness” in another area.

God’s Word today reminds us that God’s standards for greatness fly in the face of many cultural standards (James, Mark).
When we hear James' reminder that "wisdom is pure, peaceable, gentle and compliant", we might shake our heads in amazement!
And picturing the all-too-true-to-life scene of the disciples with their all-too-human "discussion" of "one-upmanship": "I'm greater than you are!!" makes the point even clearer. Ah, I can hear it now!
What does Jesus do? He shows this misguided group a child as an example of greatness!

As God's Word certainly challenges us to examine our standards for measuring greatness this week, we are called to notice what our lives say about our values.

To think about:
How do I and my family define “greatness”?
Who are some people I/we consider truly great? Why?
What qualities do I encourage my child to develop?
Do I take time to notice small acts of kindness, consideration, and helpfulness- or do I usually notice only the most prominent or ostentatious?

To do:
Speak to someone you might usually ignore, someone who quietly does a job or fulfills a responsibility.
Congratulate someone on an accomplishment.
Notice small acts of gentleness, kindness, peacefulness, and service in your child or in others.

To pray: “What you do to the least of my people, you do to me.”

Next week: 26th Sunday in Ordinary Time: Numbers 11: 25-29; James 5: 1-6; Mark: 9: 38-48

No comments:

Post a Comment