Friday, July 2, 2010

"The Gift of Life": Reflection for July 4,2010, 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today's Scripture can be read at www.usccb.org/nab.



I can't remember the last time that July 4 occurred on a Sunday, but I am really struck with an awareness of the way that God's Word relates to the heart of today's national observance. As we take time to appreciate our blessings as a nation and acknowledge its failures and needs, I think that we can also appreciate our need for God.



While the prophet Isaiah speaks of Jerusalem (Isaiah)- a blessed but flawed city- we might also think of our country.

And as we sing "Let all the earth cry out with joy to God" (Psalm 66- Responsorial) we can think of our country and of all who seek to live in freedom.


Finally, as we hear of those who helped bring the Good News of God's Love to others as disciples of Jesus (Luke), we can also think of those who have worked and continue to work for human dignity and freedom throughout the world.

God's Word can call us to new awareness as it challenges us to "just Do IT!

To think about: Do I take freedom and blessings for granted?

Do I work to continue the foundations on which this country was built?

Do I pray for this country and for all people in the world?

Do I try to extend the blessings I experience to others?

To do: Notice your freedoms and blessings; name them and tell your children or grandchildren about them.

Do something to help bring the freedom or blessings that you experience to others.

To pray: Pray for our country: "God bless America, land that I love"! and for the world: "This is my prayer, O God of all the nations, a prayer for peace."


Next week: 15th Sunday in Ordinary Time

No comments:

Post a Comment