Thursday, June 10, 2010

"Getting Unstuck": Reflection for June 13, 2010, 11th Sunday in "Ordinary Time"

Today's Scripture: 2Samuel 12: 7-13; Galatians 2:16-21; Luke 7:36-50 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab.



It is just so easy to get into a routine that can become a "rut", an emotional, behavioral or relational "place" that just seems to define us. This "rut" can involve something small or something very significant that is really affecting our lives. We know what happens with the way that things are now, and we do not know wha tmight happen if somethng changes.



Yet God's Word today tells us that change is possible. Yes, we can change... Like David (2 Samuel) who was hardly a model of upright behavior, and like the woman who anointed Jesus' feet (Luke) we too can change.

And like these two characters, we need to acknowledge our "rut", our "shadow side", our behavior or attitude that is causing us to be stuck. And then we need to accept that we cannot change on our own as we reach out to God.

Then we need to "just do it": make one change that helps us move out of the place where we may be stuck so that we can experience fuller life.


To think about: What is one area in my life where I'd like to see a change - an area where I feel "stuck" or "in a rut"?
Do I try to change others without trying to change myself?
Do I depend on myself to bring about change? Or do I accept my need for God?
Do I get easily discouraged when a desired change does not happen as I wish?

To Do: Make no excuse as you change one behavior or thought pattern about a person or a situation, remembering that God is with you!

To Pray: Pray "The Serenity Prayer" with an awareness of a particular situtation or relationship in mind, realizing that the only one we can change is ourself.

Next week: 12th Sunday in Ordinary Time: Zechariah 12:10-11, 13:1; Galatians 3:26-29;Luke 9 :18-24

No comments:

Post a Comment