Friday, May 28, 2010

" How Do I Picture God?": Reflection for Trinity Sunday, May 30, 2010

Scripture for Trinity Sunday: Proverbs 8: 1-4, 22-31; Romans 5: 1-5; John 16: 12-15 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab

People have tried to define or explain God from earliest times. Yet all attempts at definition or explanation fall short of explaining the wonderfully great mystery of God!
The ways we envision God can affect our lives on a personal and a communal level.
God’s Word today presents images or glimpses of God that can speak to our lives:
God our Creator (Proverbs),
God our Companion (Romans),
God our Guide (John).
Realizing that the reality of God’s being extends into the world, we, in turn, are challenged to let these images of God touch our lives and make God’s presence real in our world.
As we help create opportunities for life and love to grow,
as we companion others in good times and in sad times,
as we help guide and direct others,
I think that we continue to make God’s presence alive in the world.

On this Memorial Day weekend we can also thank God as we remember the many men and women who have honorably served the cause of peace. Indeed, many of these fellow human beings sought to help people live in the freedom that the Creator designed.

To think about: Do I ever think of God’s delighting in me or delighting in others (Proverbs)? Am I so busy with my work, my responsibilities, and my expectations that I don’t take “down time” to notice beauty and wonder in the world around me, including the people in my life?
Has my image of God changed as I’ve grown and matured?
How do I relate to others whom I find difficult to love?

To do: Treat yourself to some “down time” to open your eyes to the wonders around you, and thank God, the Creator, for life and its many beauties.
Notice some of the people who touch your life, and thank God, our Companion, for their presence in your life.
Graciously give time, talent or treasure to someone who is experiencing difficulty of some kind and ask God, our Guide, to help you.
As you help create or sustain beauty and life, or as you interact with others this week, be aware of the ways that you continue God's work of creating and caring in your life.

To pray: “Thank you, Creator God…Companion God… Spirit of God in our hearts.”

Next week: Feast of the Body of Christ: Genesis 14: 18-20; 1 Corinthians 11: 23-26; Luke 9: 11-17

No comments:

Post a Comment