Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Help for the Journey":Reflection for May 9, 2010, 6th Sunday of the Easter Season

"Help Along the Way": Reflection for the 6th Sunday of the Easter Season
Today's Scripture: Acts of the Apostles 15:22-29; Revelation 21: 10-14; John 14: 23-29 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab

Sometimes “where two or three are gathered”, difficulties, misunderstandings and disagreements can occur. Resolving these conflicts requires time, effort and willingness on the part of those involved. Sometimes a situation even calls for outside help.

God’s Word today reminds us that we have “outside help” available for our everyday lives; God’s Spirit is always with us (John).
And an awareness that even the early Christian community needed to work through dissensions (Acts) can help us as we face difficulties in our own lives.
As we let God’s Spirit teach us, our own way of dealing with life’s uncertainties and interactions can change. We can see life’s occurrences in a new light (Revelation).

Today, as we celebrate Mother’s Day, we can think of the many ways that our own mothers, as well as the people in our lives who have been like mothers to us, have put God’s Word into action in their own lives and have helped us realize our own giftedness and abilities as we walk our own life journey.

To think about: Where do I turn when I experience difficulties, misunderstandings and disagreements?
Do I usually expect “the other person” to change and agree with me?
Do I usually need to have things my way?
Have I ever tried a new way of approaching a relationship or interaction?
Have I ever asked God’s Spirit to teach me?
Who are my models for the way that I live my life and interact with others?
What am I teaching by the way I live?
Who has been a significant teacher in my life?

To do: Do one thing differently in the way you think, talk, or interact with one person or in one situation this week.
Ask God’s Holy Spirit to teach you a new way to do this- a way that will help bring true peace. Thank someone who has touched your life in some way, someone who has taught you an important “life lesson”.
Contact someone who has made a differnece in your life, especially someone who helped you see your own giftedness.

To pray: Visualize the situation or relationship that needs God’s Spirit as you pray, “Holy Spirit, you are welcome in this place.”

Next week: Either (depending on your diocese) the 7th Sunday of the Easter Season: Acts 7:55-60; Revelation 22: 12-20; John 17: 20 - 26 or Celebration of the Ascension: Acts 1:1-11; Ephesians 1: 17 -23; Luke 24: 46-53

No comments:

Post a Comment