Thursday, February 18, 2010

"Traveling With Jesus: A Journey to Renewed Life"

"Traveling With Jesus: A Journey to Renewed Life" : Reflection for February 21, 2010, 1st Sunday of Lent
Today’s Scripture: Deuteronomy 26: 1-11; Romans 10: 8-13; Luke 4: 1-13 can be read at www.usccb.org/nab


Traveling can certainly be very stressful. In fact, sometimes people even return from vacations more exhausted than before the trip!

As we begin this Lenten time, God’s Word presents us with images of journeys.
We hear of the Israelites who, in the midst of their own journey to the Land of Promise, recall their family history and the journey of their ancestors (Deuteronomy).
We also hear of Jesus’ journey into the desert where he faces challenges and struggles (Luke).

As all travelers know, journeys can provide new insights and greater awareness.
God's Word today challenges us to consider Lent as a journey time: a time for new insights and greater awareness, a time to consider the direction in which one’s life is heading, as well as changes or adjustments that might make life’s voyage more meaningful.

To think about: How willing am I to include Jesus in my life journey, letting His influence touch my life?
Does my life reflect any awareness that “The Word is near you, on your lips and in your heart”(Romans)?
For a journey to begin, one must leave some things behind and take that first step. What do I need to leave behind if I want to travel with new awareness of God in my life?
Can I change one way that I use my time, talents, or treasure so that my life journey is renewed?

To do: Be aware of how your lips and heart reflect God’s Presence; let “Thanks” be often on your lips and in your heart.
Speak up in the face of injustice; replace a word of ridicule or sarcasm with a word of direct acknowledgement.
Call or visit someone who is experiencing difficulty on their life journey.
Simplify your life journey by buying less and using what you already have.
Move from the computer, TV, or newspaper and spend time with a family member or as quiet time to experience a small time of renewal!

To pray: Hear God saying to you, “ Do not be afraid, (insert your own name), I am with you”.

Next week: 2nd Sunday of Lent: Genesis 15: 1-18; Philippians 3: 17- 4:1; Luke 9: 28-36

No comments:

Post a Comment