Thursday, August 20, 2009

What Is Your Choice? Reflection for Sunday, August 23, 2009, 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time

Joshua 24: 1-18 (bits and pieces of the section);Ephesians 5 : 21 - 32 or (I hope!) Ephesians 5: 2, 25 -32; John 6: 60 - 69


Scripture for today's readings can be found at www.usccb.org/nab.


The poet Robert Frost wrote of the significance of choices: "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference" ("The Road Not Taken").

Indeed, some choices seem to have been ones that have "made all the difference" in our lives, for they have provided the framework and direction for many of our life's details.

God's Word today reminds us of the significance of our choices and the way that these choices touch our lives.

In the first reading from the Book of Joshua, we hear of the ancient Israelites choosing to follow the One God.
In the passage from John's Gospel, we hear of those who chose to leave Jesus and those who chose to stay with Him.
And in the Letter to the Ephesians we hear of the significance of our relationships, particularly the relationship between spouses. (Hopefully most lectors will proclaim the shorter version, since the longer version carries the infamous admonition "wives be subject to your husbands" - a line that has certainly provided a framework for abuse over the years.)

God's Word today can strengthen us as we become more aware of our everyday choices and try to let those choices influence the way that we live.

To Think About:

What have been some significant choices I have made on my life's road?

What influences my choices: media, peers, society's expectations, the message of Jesus?

Do I give my child the opportunity to make age-appropriate choices?

Do I try to listen to God's presence within me when I make a choice or ask for God's guidance?

Do I trust that God can make something good come from a choice that I have made, even one that I regret?

To Do:

Choose a relationship or a situation where you can choose to act as one who is trying to follow Jesus.

Notice how everyday choices in the way that you use your time, talents and energy shape your life.

Give your child the opportunity to make age-appropriate choices, and let your child experience some of the natural consequences that follow some choices.

Ask God to guide you in a choice that you are making or a situation that you are experiencing.

To Pray: "Open my ears, Lord, help me to hear Your voice; open my heart,Lord,help me to love."

Next week: 22nd Sunday in Ordinary Time: Deuteronomy 4: 1-8; James 1: 17-18, 21-27; Mark 7: 1-23

No comments:

Post a Comment