Friday, November 13, 2009

"A Season for Everything": Reflection for November 15, 2009; 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time

Today's Scripture passages: Daniel 12: 1-3; Hebrews 10: 11-18; Mark 13: 24-32, are available at http://www.uscc.org/nab

A Season for Everything

Almost all the leaves have fallen from the trees; branches are bare and stark. As darkness continues to increase each day, we spend more time indoors. I’ve found that, for some unknown reason, schoolwork can often become more intense at this point in the school term; assignments and responsibilities seem to build to a crescendo.

With our Thanksgiving celebration approaching, we know that “countdowns” to holidays will touch our lives. Next week the church community will close the calendar on another church year.
Yes, this month is a time of transition, a reminder that life changes. We still have a few weeks to go before light increases in the afternoon, before we celebrate newness, before nature’s new life emerges once again.

God’s Word today reminds us that endings are not final for God (Daniel), for new life can blossom in unexpected places (Mark).

God’s Word also challenges us to bring light, hope and life to our world (Mark).

As we consider life’s changes, let us be more aware of our many blessings and the ways that we share those blessings with others.

To think about:
What are some signs that remind me of life’s brevity?
Do I let an awareness of life’s transience influence my priorities, my actions, and my decisions? Who are some people who bring light, hope, or new life to our world?
How do I or my family bring life and light to others?
Do I make gratitude an integral part of my life, of my family's life?

To do: Let an awareness of life’s brevity influence one decision you make each day.
Remind yourself this week: “If I knew this were my last day, what would I do differently?" Express your gratitude for everyday blessings and for people who add joy and light to your life. Bring light to someone in poverty or ignorance by giving money you might use for yourself to a worthwhile cause.

To pray: Insert your name and hear Jesus say to you, “You, _____, are light for the world.”

Next week: Christ the King: Daniel 7:13-14; Revelation 1: 5-8; John 18: 33-37

No comments:

Post a Comment