Friday, October 23, 2009

"Need More Light?": Reflection for Sunday October 25, 2009; 30th Sunday in Ordinary Time

30th Sunday in Ordinary Time: Jeremiah 31: 7-9; Hebrews 5: 1-6; Mark 10: 46-52
Scripture for today can be found at http://www.usccb.org/nab

Although the time to “fall back” to Standard Time isn’t until next week, we’ve already experienced the decrease in light each day. Most of us almost wince at the thought of darkness that will continue to become part of our lives for the next few months. How much we miss the light!

God’s Word today reminds us of the need for light in many areas of our lives, especially those that are enveloped in darkness (Jeremiah, Mark). However, often one whose sight is impaired develops an ability to see beyond the physical; sometimes that person may see more clearly than the sighted person.
God’s Word today also reminds us that we all carry areas of blindness within us, especially in the ways that we view God, self, or others.
This Word then challenges us to turn toward Jesus so that we will not only see reality with new eyes but that we will then let that new awareness touch the way we live (Hebrews). It's all about putting the Word into practice!

To think about:
What do I usually look for and notice in others: goodness and talents or faults and failings?
How do I treat those who do not see things as I see them?
Do I always think that my view is the superior view?
What do I do when I notice judgmental, prejudicial or stereotypical views?
How many of my views are the views of Jesus?
How do I try to alleviate the blindness caused by poverty or lack of education?

To do:
Notice goodness, talents and abilities in yourself and in others; thank God for these gifts.
Speak up when prejudicial or stereotypical views are expressed.
Try to listen attentively to someone who cannot see life’s fullness because of loneliness or sadness.
Thank someone who has helped you or a loved one to see life with new/renewed vision.
Take a walk and notice the beauties of nature.
And finally, please let me know if you have read this blog and if it has brought you any “light”. I’m trying to decide if I should continue this. You can email me at lightlady09@gmail.com or leave a comment. Thanks!

To pray: “Lord, that I may see” or “Open my eyes to the wonder of this moment”.

Next week: Solemnity of All Saints: Revelation 7: 2-4, 9-14; 1John 3: 1-3; Matthew 5: 1-12

No comments:

Post a Comment